My original selections from the video:
3 stories from my life:
Story #1 - Connecting the dots
- I was put up for adoption by my mother and the condition of adoption was that I go to a family that had gone to college.
- much of what I stumbled into by followed my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on
- If I had never dropped into that course, the Mac would never have the wonderful typography that they do
- [4:58: Of course it was impossible […] You can’t connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards. You have to trust that the dots will connect in your future….
Story #2 - Love & Loss
- At 30 I was out. I was a very public failure
- But I still loved what I did… I’d been rejected, but I was still in love. So I started over.
- The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of
- Sometimes life is going to hit you in the head with a brick.
- Your work is going to fill a large part of your life
- As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. Keep looking. Don’t settle.
Story #3 - Death
- When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like “if you live each day as if it were your last, one day you’ll almost certainly be right”
- If the answer if “no” too many days in a row…
- remembering that you are going to die is the best way to remember that you’ve got nothing to lose.
- death is the destination that we all share…
- Your time is limited so don’t waste it living someone else’s life…
- Stay hungry, stay foolish.